My research areas include applied microeconomics, economic development, institutional economics, and public choice. I investigate questions aimed at understanding the conditions that contribute to (as well as interrupt) economic development, social coordination, and human flourishing. My dissertation research investigates the role of China in the developing world, with particular focus upon: (1) The economic and political impacts of Chinese development flows; and, (2) The political economy of China's domestic ethnic policies in Xinjiang. Methodologically, I rely upon both quantitative and qualitative methods, as these approaches are complements, not substitutes.
- Going Far By Going Together: James M. Buchanan’s Economics of Shared Ethics, with Art Carden and Zachary B. Kessler. Business Ethics Quarterly (forthcoming)
- Ethical Maturity and Economic Progress: Adam Smith's Lesson Still Applies, with Art Carden and Jennings Marshall. Journal of Markets & Morality, 23 (1) 2020, pp. 45-60
- Bruno Maçáes, Belt and Road: A Chinese World Order. The Independent Review, 25(1) 2020.
- Timothy Grose, Negotiating Inseparability in China: The Xinjiang Class and the Dynamics of Uyghur Identity. Liberal Currents, August 2020
- Individualism, Economic Freedom, and Charitable Giving, with Meina Cai, Nick Cowen, Ilia Murtazashvili, Jennifer Brick Murtazashvili, Raufhon Salahodjaev (R & R, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization)
- The Predatory State and Coercive Assimilation: The Case of the Uyghurs in Xinjiang (with I. Murtazashvili)
- Chinese Overseas Lending & the Amplification Effect
- Knowledge, Adaptability, and China’s Belt and Road Initiative
- The Ostroms in Beijing (with M. Cai, W. Law, W. Lin, I. Murtazashvili, and J. Murtazashvili)
- Trails of Tears: The Political Economy of Cultural Assimilation (with A. Crepelle, W. Law, and I. Murtazashvili)
- Respect the Troops: A Theory of Social Praise (with C. Reilly and P. Leeson)
Works in Progress
- Repression and International Trade: An Analysis of Chinese Trade Volume with Islamic Countries (with J. Callais & L. Peng)
- Economic Freedom in Economic History (with V. Geloso)